Recruitment and Advertising

I wanted to get the word out about the fact that I was looking to hire people for my new office. One of the major problems I have with being in a place I’m not very familiar with is not knowing what to do in these types of situations. My mother in law suggested help wanted flyers, and Tamara and I thought it was a great idea. We made them up ourselves and put them up everywhere we could think of. At the area hospital, at every bus stop in I think a five-mile radius of the clinic, and a few other places (I am not sure exactly where, because on the second day, Tamara and her mother were muttering to themselves and snatching flyers left and right; they disappeared with fistfuls and a heavy duty staple gun). I spent a pleasant afternoon with my father in law where we watched a very exciting football match, and the ladies came home sans flyers. It seemed to do the trick, because I had several candidates to choose from for the positions I needed to fill. It was a long couple of days, true, but I couldn’t believe how easy it was. I didn’t think we would find people so fast.

Once I had my team selected, we went back around to remove the flyers. I didn’t want anyone to falsely think that positions were still open; that seemed unnecessarily cruel. The flyers we affixed to concrete and metal poles with tape apparently were not very secure and nearly all had already disappeared. Made the job easier for us, I guess. The ones on wood and bulletin boards, however, were all still there. I have to say, some of them were covered in graffiti but those heavy duty staplers really helped to hold the posters on there. Tamara and I ripped them down the best we could, careful not to damage anyone else’s signs. Some I was able to use a pair of her father’s pliers to retrieve the staples but with others, we actually ended up leaving the staples behind. Too difficult to get them off. The stapler really did its job and those things weren’t going anywhere!

Because the first flyer campaign was so successful, Tamara whipped up another one announcing the grand opening a week and a half later. It has been good exercise and a surprisingly pleasant way to see the neighborhood while putting them up. It took us two days to distribute them all, as people noticed us tacking up the flyers and had questions. Again, that heavy duty stapler was a lifesaver! Just two hits with that thing and the flyers were as good as painted on.

My legs are tired, my hand is a little sore, but I am really happy. I feel like I am moving in a good direction here and I can’t help but be excited about it. I can’t wait to get back to improving the lives of my patients and doing what I was trained to do.